Monday, December 20, 2010

Shadowfax

There was no fanfare, no ticker tape parade, no special announcement or interruption in the regularly scheduled programming.  But I felt a need to celebrate when my car's odometer reached 50000 miles.  My car could have theoretically circled the Earth twice, with a little mileage left over - and I know its traveled emotional miles with me as well.  It seems like a car is one of the few places that I can truly feel alone anymore.  You can watch as the world slips by as you travel down pavement that ribbons off into the distance.  The freedom is exhilarating.  On trips I always love the feeling sitting in the back of my mind, like shadows I'm scared to acknowledge for fear of them dying in the light.   "Just skip your exit.  Keep on driving.  Explore.  See where you end up.  See where this road goes."  I imagine myself cutting all ties with everything up to that point, and just starting over.  A simple reset.  That car is much more than a vehicle.  It's been a bed, a dining room, a concert hall, an observatory;  my silver steed.  From getting me from where I am to where I want to be, here's to another 50000 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment